By Charlotte Lehman
Happy spring! It’s been a long cold lonely winter but spring is finally here! Instead of focusing on the cold and snow, it’s now time to embrace the bright future of Springfest, lobsters and the beach.
I don’t know about you, but all the swirling snow and biting wind left me feeling a little blue and a lot unhealthy.
If this year’s unending winter had you feeling down in the dumps and you’re finding it hard to put that spring in your step and melt your winter layer, there are a few things you can do to spring forward into the sunshine, health and happiness.
1. You’ve got to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, latch onto the affirmative but don’t mess with Mr. In-Between. OK, I know the lyrics to my grandma’s favorite song are pretty lame, but she’s got a point here. The best way to start feeling healthy and happy is to let go of the past!
Whether it’s a bad winter breakup or just general animosity toward Old Man Winter, the best thing you can do is let it go! I promise you, you will start feeling happier, healthier and more confident just by relaxing and reveling in how great life can be!
Plus, Union spring term … ain’t nothin’ better than that.
2. Get outside. Yes, the gym is great. Yes, the gym is convenient. No, the gym does not have the same mental and physical benefits as getting outside.
One of the great things about Union is its proximity to the bike trail. And by proximity, I mean it runs right through campus. It’s the perfect place to run, walk or bike and enjoy the beautiful scenery along the Mohawk River. Bonus: going outside instead of to the gym allows you to get Vitamin D!
3. Eat healthy! It’s ages-old advice, but there’s a reason this tip is so popular. One of the best ways to feel better is to have a well-balanced diet — we’re talking beans and greens, apples and bananas, fiber and vitamins … you get the picture. It might seem tough to lay off the cookies at first, but I promise you, it’s worth it in the end!
4. But don’t forget to indulge! Every once in awhile, treat yo’ self. You deserve a cookie or a trip to Sweet Frog or to chance to binge-watch Netflix for an afternoon.
Obviously it’s hard not to do these things all the time (I know from experience), but I promise you that if you keep it rare, it’ll be extra special when you do indulge!
5. Sleep … Life is exciting and you might want to stay up all night. Or that term paper may be demanding your attention. But you will never regret getting your full eight hours a night. You’ll be happier, healthier, more relaxed and better-equipped to deal with the challenges college may throw at you.
6. Don’t sleep too much! This is spring term at Union, after all!
Let’s put the winter behind us and spring into the most wonderful time of the year!
We have a lot to look forward to this term — make sure you’re at your best to enjoy all that Union’s spring has to offer!