Last weekend: ‘Vagina Monologues’ performed

0
96

By Enza Macherone

On Thursday, Feb. 21 and Saturday, Feb. 23, students performed an episodic play called “The Vagina Monologues,” in honor of international V-Day.

On Feb. 14, the V-Day movement comes together to advocate for the end of violence against women across the world. At Union, the movement culminated in “The Vagina Monologues” and a flash-mob dance in Reamer in honor of One Billion Rising.

The play was performed by female students of various class years and directed jointly by the President of Women’s Union Helena-Jasmine Sowah ‘13 and Yisy Grullon ‘16. As many know, the play was not performed last year, which is the annual tradition. In response to this, Sowah answered, “The monologues were not performed last year due to some misunderstanding with the V-Day organization. However, those issues were solved and we were able to move forward with this year’s production.”

For this year’s production, Sowah explained how the goal was two-fold. “The Vagina Monologues offers an opportunity for everyone in the Union College community to participate in a global movement,” she said. Furthermore, the play was a chance to raise money for charity. “Women’s Union will be donating 90 percent of the proceeds from the show to the YWCA Northeast New York Domestic Violence Shelter and the other 10 percent to the V-Day organization.”

The play attracted many students of all years and genders, as well as many faculty and staff. Overall, it was a great success. As Rachael Cox ‘13 said, “I thought the performance was really entertaining, but it’s also a great way to empower women.”

NO COMMENTS

Leave a Reply