By Aviva Hope Rutkin
This was a wonderful term for journalism.
Well, at the very least, it has been decent. As a College Media Matters article on our Delta coverage said, “The facts back up their assertion: the information the paper reported upon was verified; it has newsworthy value… and it has been fleshed out in follow-up reports. That’s decent journalism, folks.”
We did a few other things right as well:
- Fresh ‘15 was given out to every incoming freshman during orientation week.
- Our articles were picked up by WRUB Student Radio at the University of Buffalo, the Schenectady Gazette, the Times-Union and the Student Press Law Center.
- We welcomed several new editorial board members: Rhea Howard ‘14, Sam Bertschmann ‘15, Matt Olson ‘15 and Kelsey Carroll ‘15. Special mention goes out to our copyeditors (Shayna Han ‘15, Madeline Kirsch ‘15, Joe DeMember ‘15 and Nikita Shah ‘14), web assistant Thomas Scott ‘15 and our plethora of new writers.
- We learned about and embraced a liberal interpretation of the Clery Act.
- We continued to improve our web presence through concordy.com and social media tools.
Of course, it isn’t always easy.
We finished some of our issues at an all-time record slowness, sending in the front page literally minutes before it was due to the printer.
We also said goodbye to some other members of our staff. It’s unfortunate that their terms ended with us, and we wish them the best of luck in the future.
Ajay Major and Aviva Hope RutkinEditors-in-Chief