Men’s lacrosse downs St. John Fisher in OT thriller

Kerry Lyne (9) '20 scored the game-winning goal as time expired in the overtime period of Union's 9-8 victory against St. John Fisher College on April 4
Kerry Lyne (9) ’20 scored the game-winning goal as time expired in the overtime period of Union’s 9-8 victory against St. John Fisher College on April 4

On Tuesday, April 4, Men’s Lacrosse headed up to Rochester, NY to face St. John Fisher College. The game started with the ball in the back of the Dutchmen net just 47 seconds in, as the Cardinals jumped out to an early 1-0 lead. However, it didn’t take long for the Dutchmen to fire back, outscoring St. John Fisher 5-1 the rest of the way in the first half, taking a three-goal lead into the intermission. The game took a turn in the second half as St. John Fisher scored five straight goals, retaking a 7-5 lead in the third period.

The Dutchmen again fought back, scoring three goals to take another lead in the fourth quarter before the Cardinals put up one more goal, leaving the score at 8-8 at the end of regulation. Once the whistle blew to start overtime, it was a fierce battle. The teams seemed to be at a stalemate as the clock wound down.

It wasn’t until the final seconds of overtime that the game would be decided. Peter Richardson ’17 fired a shot that went just wide of the net, stopping the clock with just two seconds remaining. Attacker Jordan Cooper ’18 then scooped up the ball and fed it to Kerry Lyne ’20 who scored the game-winning goal as time expired, finishing off the second hat trick his Dutchman career.

On Saturday, the Dutchmen faced off against crosstown rival RPI. The Dutchmen had kept the game close for much of the afternoon, only trailing the Engineers by a pair entering the fourth quarter, withstanding a string of three straight RPI goals scored in 37 seconds at one point in the first quarter. The RPI attack overwhelmed the Dutchmen defense in the final quarter of play, while the Engineer defense stifled Union’s attack late in the match. JT Kelly extended the RPI lead to three, scoring on a bouncing shot early in the fourth quarter.

Zach Lukas then scored his third of four goals on the afternoon to make it a 9-5 game with 9:33 left in regulation. Owen Putman added one more for RPI before Lyne finally got the Dutchmen on the board in the fourth quarter with his first score of the afternoon. Mathew Gilman and Lukas each added one more goal for RPI, closing out the game with a 12-6 win. Lukas finished the afternoon with four goals and a team-high eight shots, six hitting the net. Richardson tallied a pair of goals for the Dutchmen while Lyne added a goal and an assist. The loss dropped Union to 5-4 on the year, 1-2 in Liberty League play. The Dutchmen will return to action when they host Skidmore College in mid-week action this Wednesday before facing R.I.T. on Saturday.


Leave a Reply