Men’s hockey drops both games in series against RPI

Union Men’s Ice Hockey players huddle during one of their games. Last weekend, the team dropped both contests in a two-game series against crosstown rival and ECAC opponent RPI. The team suffered a painful 5-1 loss at home then traveled to RPI where they were defeated 3-2. (Courtesy of Union Athletics)

After a tough weekend of drawing 5-5 to Michigan and losing to the University of New Hampshire 5-2, the Union College Men’s Hockey Team looked to rebound with back-to-back games against rival RPI heading into Halloween. The first of the two clashes was hosted by the Dutchmen on Oct. 30. With RPI coming into town, there was substantial hype surrounding the game.

The Engineers wasted no time getting the scoring started, as RPI forward Travis Fulton found the back of the net only ten minutes into the contest. From there, the first period turned nightmarish for the Dutchmen.

Just five minutes later, the Engineers doubled their lead as defenseman Phil Hampton netted just the second goal of his career.

The troubling start only got worse for the Dutchmen; within the next minute RPI’s Kenny Gillespie slipped a shot right underneath the pad of Dutchmen goaltender Alex Sakellaropoulos ’17 to extend the RPI lead to 3-0.

Union then replaced Sakellaropoulos with Jake Kupsky ’19 in an attempt to stop the bleeding, but RPI still tacked on a fourth goal of the game before the end of the first period.

The second period turned out to be rather uneventful, as Union failed to convert on power plays, having a man advantage for almost half of the period.

The third period started with RPI opening up the scoring on a shorthanded goal from forward Milos Bubela, extending the lead to 5-0. Union got on the board on a late power play goal from Mark Dufour ’19, assisted by Noah Henry’ 17, for Dufour’s third goal of the year.

Tempers flared in the end; as the game finished, four players were handed ten minute misconducts after a late scuffle. The game ended 5-1 with RPI coming out on top.

The Dutchmen then headed into Halloween night seeking revenge with a short turnaround from the night before. Both teams started off even with the first period finishing scoreless. However, things changed in the second period, as RPI was able to score twice.

Down 2-0 entering the third period, the Dutchmen needed a spark to get the team going. Sebastien Gingras ’16 provided just that with a power play goal assisted by Michael Pontarelli ’17 and Matt Wilkins ’16. Yet, minutes later, RPI was able to increase its lead with a power play goal on the other end by Mark Miller.

The Dutchmen were not going to go down without a fight; they responded quickly with a goal from Ryan Scarfo ’18, his fourth of the season. The goal was assisted by Greg Campbell ’19 and Henry, with his second assist of the weekend.

Unfortunately, there was no late drama for Union, however, as they ended up dropping their third consecutive game.

The Dutchmen now sit at 2-3-3 overall on the year and are 0-2-0 in the ECAC.

The team looks to regain its early season form this weekend with games up north against St. Lawrence (5-2-1) and Clarkson (5-1-0).




Leave a Reply