Men’s football dominated by talented Hobart squad

Courtesy of Union Athletics Union’s Jermaine Carn ’17 runs the ball in Union’s game against Hobart. The Dutchmen suffered a blowout 52-14 loss at the hands of the Statesmen.

The Union Men’s Football Team lost its ninth consecutive game on Halloween when it lost to the Hobart Statesmen 52-14.

Hobart quarterback Shane Sweeney led the way for the Statesmen, completing fifteen of twenty passes for 305 yards and four touchdowns. Sweeney got Hobart on the board early when he completed an 81-yard touchdown pass to fellow Statesman Brandon Shed with 9:58 to play in the first quarter. It proved to be just the start for Shed; he would go on to finish with five catches for 179 yards and three touchdowns. Union answered on the following drive when Dante Cioffi ’18 found Jermaine Carn ’17 out of the backfield for a 25-yard touchdown pass that knotted the game up at seven.

However, it was Sweeney, again finding Shed deep, this time for a 48-yard touchdown to regain the Statesmen lead. Hobart then opened the floodgates when they forced a turnover on the ensuing Dutchmen drive; it was Statesman Michael Harper who intercepted Cioffi in Union territory. Seven plays and thirty yards later, Christopher Holoman ran it in from a yard out for Hobart and made it 21-7 in their favor.

Hobart kicker Sean Kirshe then converted a 37-yard field goal on the Statesmen’s first drive of the second quarter. Union proceeded to go four-and-out, failing to convert on fourth down and turning it over at the Hobart thirty-six yard line.

The Statesmen proceeded to strike quickly, going 64 yards in just four plays, converting on a Bradley Burns two-yard rushing touchdown that brought Hobart up 31-7. After having their defense on the field for most of the second quarter, Union finally got its offense back out with 1:03 to play in the half. The Dutchmen capitalized on good field positioning and went 53 yards in five quick plays, capped off by a 28-yard touchdown pass from Cioffi to Joe Vito ’16. Union ended the half down 31-14.

Unfortunately for the Dutchmen, Hobart stepped on the gas pedal coming into the second half. Sweeney found Jack Pfohl for a ten-yard touchdown pass that capped off a long eleven-play, 84 yard drive that took just about six minutes.

Later in the third, the duo of Sweeney and Shed struck again, this time converting a 41-yard touchdown pass that made it 45-14 Hobart at the end of the third.

The Statesmen added one more score in garbage time, a six-yard touchdown run by Joe Letizia to make it 52-14. The score would hold for the rest of the game, and Hobart completed the blowout to earn its fifth victory of the season.

Union will have two more opportunities to earn a win this season, with games against the United States Merchant Marine Academy and RPI on the schedule in the coming weeks.


Leave a Reply