Women’s soccer plays five games to double-overtime

(Cat Blewer | Concordiensis) Union’s Valerie Taylor ’19 fights for possession. So far, five of Union Women’s Soccer’s six games have gone to overtime. The team has played more overtime minutes so far this year than they did all of last season.

The Union Women’s Soccer team’s season is off to a promising start, albeit a rigorous one. Of the team’s six games played so far, five have gone to double overtime.

Compared to the team’s red-hot start to the season last year, the team’s current record of 2-1-3 may seem lackluster, however none of their games so far have been won or lost by a margin of more than two goals.

Prior to the beginning of their preseason, the Dutchwomen went on a tour of Spain for 10 days. While there, the team took on two Spanish club teams, Club Deportivo Canillas and CF Barcelona, defeating them by scores of 3-2 and 6-1, respectively. The team also spent time taking in the Spanish culture as they visited several different cities across Spain.

Upon returning to campus, the Dutchwomen kicked their training into full gear as they readied themselves for their opening game, an away matchup against Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania. This game was the first of many to be driven to double overtime. Elizabethtown opened the scoring off a wild throw-in from Elizabethtown’s Kara Weller that caught Union goalkeeper Erica Matteo ’19 by surprise. Union’s Sydney Keane ’18 tied the game up in the second half with a beautiful shot that went to the top corner; she was assisted by Keriann Mackey ’17. Following Keane’s goal, scoring ceased for both parties and the game was played through until the end of double overtime.

Next, the Dutchwomen took on the University of Rochester Yellow Jackets. The game served as a sort of homecoming for Union’s Claire Kowaczyk ’18, who transferred to Union this year after a year of playing for the Yellow Jackets. Union’s captain Breana Derella ’16 opened the scoring, assisted by teammate Katie Monahan ’18. Rochester tied up the game in the final minutes of the second half and the teams then played to a double overtime tie, especially grueling considering the temperature hovered around eighty degrees for the entirety of the contest.

The Dutchwomen then hosted SUNY Plattsburgh in their first home game of the season. The game remained scoreless throughout regulation time and two overtime periods.

The Dutchwomen’s next matchup, against Montclair State, was heartbreaking; the team lost 2-1 off a penalty kick in the game’s second overtime period. Montclair State scored first as Tyler Madison put one in off assists from Mallori Higbee and Kendel Bernardini.

Union’s Keane, again, tied up the game, scoring off a corner kick from Derella. The score remained until the beginning of the second overtime period when a Union defender was called for a handball in the box and a penalty kick was awarded to Montclair State. Union’s Matteo couldn’t get her hands on the ball and the game ended in defeat.

Following that tough loss, the Dutchwomen traveled to New Paltz where they earned their first win of the season in a 2-0 victory. Derella carried the team on her back as she scored both goals for the Dutchwomen.

Next, the Dutchwomen took on Hartwick in a game comparable to the Montclair State matchup. This time the Dutchwomen came out on top. Derella scored the lone goal of the game which brought the score to 1-0 with about three minutes left in double overtime.


Leave a Reply