Homemade meatballs are the ultimate comfort food offering great flavors, satisfying nutrition and memories from home. These delicious meatballs offer an extra creamy texture and rich flavor. Feel free to try different ground meats like chicken, turkey, or bison for added health benefits. Vegetarian versions of this recipe can be made by substituting Arborio rice.
These can also be made in slow cookers for locations and rooms that do not have ovens.
- 1 pound spaghetti cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon parsley leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoon basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1 pound ground beef
- *or substitute equal amounts of ground chicken, turkey, bison or cooked Arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs (gluten free may be substituted)
- 2 cup spaghetti or marinara sauce
In a bowl, combine ricotta, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and parsley.
In another bowl, combine ground beef, 1tablespoon basil, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, ketchup and bread crumbs. If making the vegetarian version, substitute cooked sticky Arborio rice. Substitute equal amounts of other ground meats if desired. Mix well.
Form 2-1/4 cup beef patties. Place ricotta mixture in center of one of the patties. Place patty on top and gently form into a meatball. Make a total of 4 meatballs. Place meatballs on sheet tray. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Bake meatballs for 20 minutes. Combine with spaghetti sauce, and simmer for approximately ten minutes to combine flavors. Combine any remaining sauce with cooked pasta and toss. Place spaghetti with sauce in a bowl. Place stuffed meatball on top of pasta. Ladle spaghetti sauce over meatball. Garnish with 1 tablespoon basil and 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese.